Monday, July 17, 2006

Zucchini Bread

Keeping with the theme of quick breads, this weekend I made another one of my favorites, Zucchini Bread! Don’t let the presence of zucchini in the dough prevent you from making this bread/cake. You will not be able to tell the zucchini is there, and it lends so much moisture to the loaf, it is impressive how delicious this is!
We all enjoy this a lot at our home, sometimes it is even preferred over the beloved banana bread! (yes, once I made one of each and the zucchini bread didn’t survive until the next day…).

Try it and I am pretty sure you will like it too!! I like to make it the way it is, the two things I changed from the recipe I got from a friend was to reduce the sugar a little and use half whole-eat, half all-purpose flour (instead of all white). And I have also made it with ¼ cup oil and ¼ cup of either yogurt or applesauce (instead of the 1/2 cup oil) and it works super well, not altering much the texture of the bread.

It can be made into either normal or mini loaf pans, or how we like it best here, in muffin tins. This time I made in both, and believe it or not, the muffins got eaten and the loaf is still there… there is something about muffins that we really love around here!

Super easy, very delicious bread, perfect to eat in the afternoon or for breakfast with a nice glass of milk and a piece of fruit.

Enjoy!

Ana









Zucchini Bread
¾ cups all purpose flour
¾ cups whole-wheat flour
1 large egg
½ cup sugar
½ cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup grated zucchini
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Mix together egg, sugar, oil and vanilla. Add rest of ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
Pour batter into a loaf pan (8x4”). Bake on a pre-heated oven at 350F for about 1 hour.

Notes: If made in mini loaf pans it will be done in about 40 minutes. For muffins, about 30 minutes

.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh! I'll definitely have to try this. I have a HUGE zucchini that I don't know what to do with and this will be great. Also, it doesn't have as much sugar as most other zucchini bread's I've seen, so that's nice.

Ana said...

I know I am bias, but do try it Claire, it is really good! And I always reduce the sugar in my recipes a little... so feel free to add a tad more if you feel like!
Ana

Karen said...

I've seen so many zucchini breads/cakes recipes lately! Yours looks great!

Unknown said...

Actually, I prefer the reduced sugar. I tried the banana bread from the previous post and it was DELICIOUS!!! I kind of rotate through recipes and this was a great one. I'm planning on making it for my family this weekend. Moist and not overly banana-y...just right! If I make it again, I'll probably post about it and link to your site!

Ana said...

Karen, try it, it is easy and really good! Make it into muffin tins and freeze the leftovers, that way you won't be tempted and your (and Osmir's) diet will be safe! Hehehe!

Claire, thanks, I am glad you liked the banana bread, it is one of our favorites! I am pretty sure you will like the zucchini bread also!

Valentina said...

Ana, I really like zuchinne/courgette bread. I do like tasting it in the bread. I will try your recipe as I never go wrong with any of the recipes you put out for bread plus the way you describe it all makes it really impossible to resist.

Ana said...

Valentina, I am pretty sure you are going to love this recipe too! If you enjoy zucchini bread than you must try this one! It is the simplest possible, but so delicious!
Ana