Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The chocolate sauce experiment…

I don’t know why, but I really got a craving for chocolate sauce this week! Yesterday I decided to try two more recipes in my quest to find the best chocolate sauce. I did some research over different recipes, some had corn syrup (which I don’t like but though would be some sort of key ingredient), others did not have it but had heavy cream instead, and that actually was the key here! It was so obvious and I don’t know why I did not think of it before, the best chocolate sauce had to have some sort of ganache-quality to it!
One of the sauces I tried yesterday had corn syrup in it, and it was definitely not my favorite at all. The other one was almost a ganache sauce, with more liquid than chocolate in it, and this was “the chocolate sauce” I was looking for. I made up the sauce (after reading lots of other recipes), it is super simple and have just a few ingredients, which I measured and took note as I cooked so I could share here with you. I found a great recipe yesterday, and the one I first tried over the weekend ended up not being so bad at all.
I am going to post here the two recipes we liked the most, one is a little “lighter”, and the other one is “super good”! And when it comes to having ice cream, the “super good” category definitely comes first to me!
Enjoy!


Ana

My Chocolate Sauce!
¼ cup milk
¼ cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ tablespoons sugar
3 oz semisweet chocolate chips (or chopped chocolate)

Simmer milk, cream, sugar, and butter over medium heat, just to warm them up and get the sugar dissolved. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth. Simmer over medium heat for 1 or 2 more minutes, until it thickens slightly.

Rich Chocolate Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup fat-free milk
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar and cocoa in a small saucepan; stir in milk and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate and vanilla, stirring until chocolate melts. Serve warm or let stand 10 minutes to thicken. Yield: 1 1/2 cups.

Cooking Light, January 2002.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to start to start by commenting on what I think is another ice cream scoop.Cute!! Great that all the hard work paid off and you got your chocolate sauce in the end.I'm going to copy them as they are real cool for comfort food days, for a girls night in..watching a DVD and having a yarn..
Keep well. Lots of love,

Anonymous said...

I've got a couple of questions: where IS the penguin??? Oh he's so cute and cool, can you tell us where is he from? And can we eat the sauce using the ice cream scoop and with no ice cream on sight? Or would I undignify myself way too much? :D

Anonymous said...

Nice review..I'm not a fan of corn syrup either..all that artificial stuff freaks me ou - I really think that;s the cause of obesity in America..heehe

Cheers!