Friday, September 16, 2005

As promised, I am back with the cookies!

This recipe is from Cooking Light magazine, and is called Chocolate Malted Cookies. They are chocolate chip cookies with a few different twists: malted milk powder and some chocolate syrup goes into the batter. At once I thought I had everything around to make them, but forgot about the chocolate syrup… well, what is cooking other than being creative? I did not have the syrup itself, but had some nutella (hazelnut spread) so I added milk to a few tablespoons of nutella to a syrup consistency and voila! I got the best chocolate syrup I have ever tasted! (Who doesn’t like nutella, huh?!) I know it is not real chocolate syrup, but it worked very well in this recipe. The batter was nice and smooth, and the cookies hold their shape while baking. Not to mention the wonderful smell all over the house!
Chocolate chip cookies are not my favorite (They are my sister’s favorite though! I preffer the ones that have oatmeal in the batter), and maybe the nutella made them extra special, or maybe it was the tasty malt flavor, but these were very good cookies indeed!
I am posting the recipe for those who want to give it a try. And other than using the “nutella syrup” I followed the recipe as written.
Ana Claudia, these are for you!
Enjoy!
Ana

Baking Cookies

"Nutella Syrup" anyone?!

Chocolate Malted Cookies
1 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons malted milk powder (such as Carnation)
5 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate minichips

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk. Gradually add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating at low speed until well blended. Stir in the milk chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate minichips. Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes or until firm. Remove cookies from pans; cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Cooking Light, May 2005

3 comments:

Ziz said...

Great job thinking on your feet! I'm looking forward to reading your blog...the first few months can be the hardest. Don't give up! :)

Joe said...

Oh my! Thinning nutella was a great idea!

Anonymous said...

hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm imagina se nao fiquei com vontade de fazer esses cookies tbmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tah mto legal o blog, Ana!!!! Adoreii!!!!
Beijinhosss da hermanaa!!!