Monday, April 21, 2008

Carrot Couscous!

I was going to make couscous last week to serve with fish but wanted to change it a bit... you know, when you are going to make the basic because its easy and quick but you do want to add something extra just to make it feel a little more special?
Well, on a situation like that you open the fridge and start looking around, and then... you find some carrot juice just sitting there and smiling (ok, not smiling per se...), waiting to be put to a good use.
And to a great purpose it served, I made couscous with it!
For 1 cup of couscous I used 1 cup carrot juice and 1/4 cup water. Bring the juice and water to a boil together with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat, add couscous, stir a bit, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and it is ready to serve!
I mixed some green onions into our couscous and I really liked the flavors, and color, it added to it.
So here it is, an easy and simple idea, just to add that little something to the beloved easy-and-quick-to-make couscous.
Oh, and don't worry if you are not the biggest carrot fan, the couscous doesn't taste "carroty" at all. The flavor is so subtle that my husband couldn't even guess what was on it. In fact, next time I make this (which I will for sure) I will use all carrot juice, as I believe more of its flavor would've been very nice.
Enjoy!
Ana

8 comments:

Cláudia said...

Ficou linda a cor deste couscous e com certeza muito mais vitaminado!

bjs

JB said...

Ana, It's JB from Urban Drivel. Can you please leave me a post with your email address so that I can send you the recipe for the vegan chocolate cake. Thansk.

Beatriz Belliard said...

Adorei a cor, uma otima ideia ! bjs

sarahsouth said...

awesome idea - i've tried OJ but this looks deelish too!

Cris said...

Hummmm que delícia Ana!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That sounds delicious. I bet it would be great with some saffron and cumin for a South Asian touch.

I hadn't thought of using juice as the liquid to cook the couscous. Great idea - thanks for sharing it! I'll certainly have to try that. I've made a sweet breakfast couscous with hot milk, accented by dried fruits.

Wallpaper Installation Hollywood said...

Good reaading this post