Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Strawberry Tarts

As promised, I am back to share the recipe with you! It may look difficult, but making these little tarts is not too hard, you just have to program yourself and set some time to complete the process. Not complicated, but you need to wait until the crust is cool to add the filling and also make sure the custard filling is completely cool before adding the jell-o on top (or it will not set up properly, besides being absorbed by the creme and crust).
I have other recipes but this time decided to try one I found at Cybercook's discussion forum, which was posted a while ago by Bell Ricci.
The only thing I would do differently next time I make would be trying to reduce the sugar amount in the crust. I didn't have any difficulties with the dough, except I think it was way to sweet for my tastes. It came out crisp and beautiful, and with no cracks at all. I really liked the crust and working with it, it was certainly worth trying the original recipe the first time around, and for the next trials I may just try making it less sweet.
If you enjoy sweet desserts, then absolutely do it as the recipe says. It was sweet for me, but my husband loved it and said it was perfect! Go figure!
The filling was easy to make and very delicious, just the custard with the strawberries alone would already make a yummy dessert - something to keep in mind if you don't want to bother with the crust...
My sister loves Strawberry Tart and I was thinking about her all the time while making and enjoying these treats. I wish she could be here to taste it with us... Well, if she comes during summertime then I may make these again! This is for you sister, love and miss you much!!
Ana

Strawberry Tart
crust:
3 cups flour (don't put it all at once, you might need less than this)
100 grams butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl until it forms a dough. (It might seem a little dry, but don't worry, it will magically come together while it rests in the fridge, really!!) Shape dough into a small disc, wrap it with plastic and put it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 (180C).
Using your fingertips, press the dough into a 9-inch (24 cm) tart pan or pie plate. Make it as even as possible, trying to not leave the bottom too thin.
Bake the crust for about 10 to 15 minutes. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't get dark. Remove from oven and let cool. Meanwhile, make the filling:

Custard Filling
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups (500ml) milk
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until it reaches a boil and the cream thickens. Let it cool a bit and then pour it over the cooled crust. (you might want to cover it with plastic wrap directly in contact with the surface of the cream so it won't form a crust - or simply don't bother with that, remove the "top skin" with a spoon and set it aside for yourself, it is yummy, and yes, I do love the skin on puddings too!!)
Let the filled crust cool in the refrigerator for a while.

Wash, stem, and halve enough strawberries to put on top of the crust. Fit as many as you want, making any pattern you like. Be gentle so the strawberries don't "squish" into the creme. Put tje tart in the fridge while you prepare one box of Strawberry jell-o according to the package directions. Put jell-o on a bowl and park it in the fridge. Let it cool down and set up until it reaches an "egg white" consistency. Keep checking constantly after about 20 minutes so that it won't set to hard. You still want it to be pourable, not too thick, but not too liquidy that the crust would absorb it. (I hope you guys can understand what I mean... if not, please contact me and I will certainly help!)
Carefully pour the jell-o on top of the strawberries in the tart. Do this very slowly, using the help of a spoon if needed, so the jell-o doesn't overflow. Alternatively, you might want to spoon it on top of the tart, instead of pouring it directly. Do whatever feels more comfortable for you. I pour when making bigger tarts (using a spoon to smooth it out and get the jell-o in between the fruit) and spoon it when making "mini" ones, which was the case this time I made them.
Put the tart in the fridge and let cool until the gelatin is set on top. A few minutes more and it will be ready for dessert.
Enjoy!!

Yield: 1 big tart, or several small ones, depending on the size of your mini pans. I was able to make 6 small tarts using half recipe!


Want a bite?!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

oi ana!!
faz tempo q nao passo por aki!
lindas suas tortas..parabens!!
boa pascoa atrasada pra vcs!hehe\
bjusss

Akemi said...

Ana, quero não só uma mordida, mas uma tortinha dessas inteirinha! Que delícia, amiga!

Fer Guimaraes Rosa said...

Ana, essas sao exatamente aquelas tortinhas de confeitaria! que deliiiiiiiii!! :-))) beijaooo,

Ana said...

Evandro, que bom te ver por aqui!! Obrigada, e feliz pascoa ai tbem!! hehe!

Clarice, vou mandar uma via sedex!

Fe, sao sim!!! Meu marido adorava essas tortinhas no Brasil, eu faco todo ano durante a epoca dos morangos, eh tao gostosa!

Ana

Heather said...

adorable tarts!!

Cris said...

I tried this last night and had a problem with the crust there was too much for my pie plate, couldn't fit all the filling and jello on top. But besides that it has a wonderful tast. Will try agian and try my spring form, which has a fluted side to see if that will work since it is bigger. Love your recipes!!!!!!!!!!

Ana said...

Heather, thanks!!

Mrs. Case, hello!
I usually add the amount of crust I think will be enough to fit my pan, and since I made this one in small tartlet pans this time, it was easy to control the thickness of the crust.
Press just enough of the dough as you think is necessary. The leftovers you can keep in the fridge for a couple of days, or make mini tarts pressing it in muffin (or mini muffin) tins!
You know what, I guess it would even be good if you bake the leftovers as cookies, they would probably taste like shortbread cookies!!
I am glad you like the recipe and is willing to try it again!
Thanks for the nice comment on my recipes, made me really happy!!

Ana

Anonymous said...

Olá Ana!
Adoro essas tortinhas,pena q aqui no Brasil só encontramos em confeitaria.Ficaram lindas e pelo jeito deliciosas também!
Parabéns pelo blog,te encontrei qdo tb estava escrevendo para Otávia (bolos).Pena q não sei traduzir essa receta para o portugues,mas valeu conhecer suas delícias!!
Bjs