Friday, October 08, 2010

Flourless Crepes a la HEAB!

After having these for lunch two days in a row I just needed to take a good picture and post here this ridiculously easy recipe that I have been enjoying: Flourless Crepes (or egg crepes as I have been calling at home). The recipe is super easy and I learned it from Heather, from HEAB, one of my favorite blogs!

It is so simple, but turns our so good and delicious that I could not even believe my tastebuds!
After having a bright and sunny morning all for myself with no classes (fall break! yay!) and yoga with my favorite instructor, I came home with a hungry belly and ready for something delicious and quick. Couldn't be more perfect than these!

All you need are 2 eggs and a 1/4 tsp of baking powder, that's it. Whip both together and pour into your preheated (I add a bit of olive oil so it doesn't stick) pan just enough "batter" to fully coat the bottom. Cover with a lid and let it cook for one to two minutes. That's all people, there isn't even a need to flip! Remove from the pan and load your fillings.

Which brings me to the point: the filling. That's what I loved the most about these. I filled mine with chopped tomatoes, chopped avocados (both which I seasoned with salt and pepper) and goat cheese. Oh my world, the creamy filling was amazing! If you never had eggs + avocados then you need to try, it is a great combo. Add some goat cheese and it is incredibly good, soooo creamy, I love it!

I made my crepes in a 8-inch skillet, just because it is my newest one nothing is sticking to it. But you can make them bigger in a 10 or even a 12 inch. Since mine was smallish I made 4 crepes. I know, you only see three of them there, and that is because I could not resist the first one, I simply sprinkled goat cheese on it, rolled it up and went to town... goat cheese and eggs is a pair made in heaven.

I had my crepes on top of a spinach and arugula salad topped with grilled zucchini rounds, pair this with a piece of warm and toasted whole grain bread with a bit of butter and you have a delicious meal without much effort at all.

By the way, I love arugula salad, and wanted to share the way I dress my salad, I don't have real measurements, but here is the method: put arugula into a bowl, season with salt, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, some sprinkles of white balsamic (or rice) vinegar, and a drizzle of honey! Yep, honey, that's what makes this salad taste so delicious. The sweetness of the honey pairs beautifully with the peppery flavors of the arugula, I love this salad and had it throughout the summer, never get tired of it!

Hope you guys like the Flourless Crepe idea it as much as I and Heather did!
Ana

8 comments:

Karen said...

Fiquei curiosa, qual o efeito do fermento?

Ana said...

Karen, o fermento deixa o crepe mais puffy! Da certo sem o fermento tbem, hoje o primeiro q eu fiz eu coloquei o ovo direto, esqueci do fermento! rs!! Comi ele com goat cheese, misturei o fermento no resto do ovo e fiz os outros crepes.
Sem o fermento fica bem fininho, mas fica bom tbem, eu gosto! Com o fermento fica mais gordinho, eu adorei pois da p/ enrolar direitinho e fica mesmo parecendo um crepe.
Se vc fizer me conta. Na verdade eh um omelete bem fininho, se vc gosta de ovos/omeletes acho q vai gostar!
Beijos!
Ana

Karen said...

Parece divertido, não faço omeletes com frequência, acho pesadão, mas essa é uma forma interessante de prepará-los.

HEAB said...

Ana,
So glad you are loving the crepes - your version sounds delicious as does that arugula salad. I never buy arugula but now I'm seriously thinking about adding some to our next grocery list. Sounds like a lovely sweet/savory combo - amazing what a little honey can do. :)

Hope you have a wonderful weekend - enjoy the rest of your fall break!

brisa said...

Amiga, adorei a dica do honey na arugula salad, que de resto, eh como eu preparo..Yum!! vou tentar.

Beijos!!

Tina said...

Love HEAB. And aren't those delicious?!

Kim - Liv Life said...

After discovering how easy crepes are made, my daughter requests them often. However, ours do have a bit of flour and are more sweet. Love this idea, and your filling ingredients are ideal.
BTW... I'm on a bit of an arugula kick too... make my salad similar to yours but haven't tried the honey. Will definitely add that next time! Thanks!

Ana said...

Heather, thanks for visiting my blog! Definitely try arugula, I loved it dressed that way with the touch of honey.

Bri, tenta, eh uma delicia, eu adoro arugula salad!

Tina, HEAB is so nice, and full of fun and delicious recipes, and yes the crepes are so good, I am loving them!

Kim, thanks for the visit on my blog!
My son also likes crepes a lot and asks for it from time to time. My usual recipe also has flour in it (plus other ingredients), but I loved these egg ones, so simple and so good!
Let me know if you try the honey on the arugula salad, I love it!

Ana