Friday, June 04, 2010

Lentil Salad

I have been on a lentil kick this past few weeks, which is a good thing as, with all the protein, fiber and iron they have, lentils are not only delicious but also nutritious and super good for you.
Yesterday I cooked some lentils in veggie broth and a smashed garlic clove and ate a full cup of it just drizzled with olive oil and a bit of grated Parmesan on top with my lunch, boy was that delicious. So simple but awesome in flavor!

The other day though I decided to do something a bit more elaborate with my plain jane lentils and I dressed them up a little making one of the best lentil salads I have ever made or eaten. I didn't make a note of quantities as I just did it by taste, but it is so simple to make that an exact recipe is certainly not necessary.
I mixed up cooked lentils with chopped sun-dried tomatoes, fresh thyme, and fresh oregano. Then I seasoned it all with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. To complete the goodness and add a nice salty touch to it I sprinkled a few small cubes of ricotta salatta cheese on top and that was it. As simple as that, as delicious as it could be!
I absolutely loved the lentils with the sun-dried tomatoes and the balsamic, just awesome! Plus the fresh herbs made it all the better.
Just an idea for a great side dish to company meals (and leafy green salads) during the warmer months. I really like beans and lentils and during the summer I love to add them to my salads, yum!!
Enjoy!
Ana

6 comments:

Beatriz Belliard said...

Oi Ana ! Saladinha bo esta,a dora lentilhas !
Obrigada pela msg ! Por aqui tudo indo bem, muito trabalho, mais do que esperava, os bolos decorados nao é da cultura dos franceses, e mesmo assim nao passo semana sem encomendas, graças a Deus ! Espero que tudo vai bem com vcs tb! beijocas

Valentina said...

Ana, I love lentils. At first I thought that you had used puy lentils. I love the idea of the fresh tarragon.

Valentina said...

Sorry - not tarragon but thyme.

Cinara said...

Delicius salad, Ana! But with the cold season already upon us, I guess lentil soup would sound even better! ;o) But I'll definitely try this lentil salad on a warmer day!
Have a great week!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Ana, adoro salada com lentilha - e ricota defumada é uma delícia, também!
Hum!

Ana said...

Oi Bia! Que bom q vc esta bem, imagino o sucesso q seus bolos estao fazendo por ai! Bjs!

Valentina, how nice to see you commenting here! I did use some black puy lentil for the salad, they are more sturdy for this method. But I love all kinds of lentils, especially the brown ones which get more soft!
The thyme combines surprisingly well with lentils, I tried and truly enjoyed!

Cinara, I am with you, during the colder months I always go for soup, and Lentil Soup is one of my very favorite ones!

Patricia, boa ideia do queijo defumado, vou experimentar da proxima vez, deve mesmo ficar muito bom com lentilhas, hummm, fiquei ate com vontade! rs!!
Bjs!

Ana