Friday, February 16, 2007

Ice Cream Torte

This was one of the goodies I made while visiting my family on our last trip to Brazil. It is a very creamy and yummy molded ice cream dessert that went very well with the hot days we were getting while there. Everyone really enjoyed this treat, so I thought I would share it here with you all!
Yummy and creamy (and sweet too!), a sweetened condensed milk ice cream sort of concoction, what is not to like about this one, huh?!! Make it soon or save the recipe for the summer, whichever is the case I am pretty sure most people will like this too!
Enjoy!
Ana


Ice Cream Torte

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream, chilled (for those in Brazil, use a can of very cold “crème de leite”)
3 eggs, yolk and whites separated
18 tablespoons water
8 tablespoons chocolate mix (such as Nesquick) – you can use cocoa if you prefer
2 tablespoons sugar

First of all, melt about ½ cup sugar in a small saucepan under low flame until it turns into caramel. Carefully pour the caramel on a bundt (those with the hole in the middle) pan, moving it around so that the caramel coats the bottom of the pan completely.
Set the pan aside, and while the caramel sets up put the sugar, water, and cocoa (or chocolate powder of choice) in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute, remove from heat and pour the chocolate sauce over the caramel on the already prepared bundt pan. Put the bundt pan in the freezer.

To make the ice cream: In a saucepan mix together the condensed milk, the milk, and the 3 egg yolks. Cook it over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until it reaches a boil. Remove from heat and let it cool (don’t worry; it will be sort of a thin mixture).
Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until soft peaks, gradually add 4 tablespoons of sugar and keep beating until stiff peaks are reached.
As the first mixture has cooled, mix into it the heavy cream and then fold in the egg white meringue, carefully mix the two together until everything is incorporated.
Pour this ice cream mixture into the prepared bundt pan and return it to the freezer. Let it freeze at least for 4 hours. When ready to serve, take the pan from the freezer and let it defrost a little (about 10 minutes should be enough), or you can set the bottom of the pan on some how water, just so that it will be easy for the ice cream to be released from the pan. Invert the pan onto a platter to unmold the ice cream and serve.

Note: I tried to explain the method of preparation for this dish but I am not sure I was clear enough, so if you have any doubts please contact me and I can try to explain better. It is not difficult to make!

13 comments:

Cinara said...

Ana, que torta mais linda! Só uma dúvida: você acha que daria certo preparar a fôrma com o caramelo e o chocolate, e depois apenas preenchê-la com sorvete industrializado amolecido, e levar ao freezer? Eu queria fazer esta linda sobremesa, mas com metade do trabalho... ;o) Bjs!

Anonymous said...

essa tem o certificado ana claudia de qualidade! hahaahh!!! eh mto bom esse doce, q por sinal jah se foi tbm! heheheh!!!
Beijos, hermana!!!

Anonymous said...

ehhehe...esse tem o meu certificado d qualidade tb!hheheh
eh mt bom ainda mais no calorzao daki!!
bjus ana

Patricia Scarpin said...

Ana,

My grandmother has been making this "ice cream" ever since I was a little girl.
I started making it some years ago to keep up with tradition. :)

Yours looks delicious!

Laranjinha said...

Que bom aspecto. Deve ser delicioso.

Ana said...

Cinara, obrigada! Otima ideia p/ um shortcut na receita, faca com sorvete de leite condensado q vai ficar ainda mais parecido com o original!

Ana, eh mesmo ne! Adoro quando vc vem aqui falar um oizinho!!

Evandro, obrigada por vir visitar o blog! O bom de fazer as coisas ai no Brasil eh ter sempre mais gente p/ ajudar a testar as receitinhas!! hehe!

Patricia, how nice! I have made it a couple of times, and not everyone knew this dessert. It sure is a great one for the summertime, and you are more than right on keeping up with your grandma's traditions!

Laranja, obrigada por vir me visitar, fiquei feliz!! P/ quem gosta de doces essa sobremesa eh um prato, tanto no visual como no sabor!

Ana

Anonymous said...

I have a recipe that is almost the same as this one and my hubbie loves it! So because he likes it so much I tried making this recipe with different toppings. Sometimes I use coffee instead of chocolate, or strawberry powder (like nesquik), or even just caramel (which is melted sugar) with cookie dough in it. Our favorite one so far is the coffee one. It is Delish!

Cris said...

I had a problem when using this recipe, it said to add sugar when you make the chocolat sauce and also when you made the egg whites but there is only 2tablespoon in the ingrediants do you use 1 tablespoon in each one? Help. Also what size pan did you use? Mine did not look anything like yours but it tastes great!!!!!

Ana said...

Hi Mr. Case!
I am really sorry, I actually forgot to mention the 4 tablespoons of sugar to be added to the egg whites...
Did you make the recipe, did it work for you??
To be true, I don't usually add the sugar to the meringue because I think the dessert is already a lot sweeter than I like that way. Maybe that's where my omission came from... but it was definitely a mistake.
I am sorry, hope you try it again!
Ana

Ana said...

Ok, I am really messed up.... sorry again, Mrs. case!!
Ana
(I misspelled your name...)

Cris said...

I will try again it, Yes it was very sweet but my husband liked it. I still need to know what size pan you used. I am trying some of the other recipes. We have loved all the one I have done so far. Do you have a recipe for desert and Ice cream that uses Table Cream?

Ana said...

Hi again Mrs. Case!!!
Good you are trying it again, this is a very yummy summer dessert!
About the size of the pan, now you got me... I made it in my mom's house and used one of her pans. I would guess something like a 9-inch round pan with the hole/tube (?) in the middle.
I used a pan almost like an angel food pan, it was aluminum and had the tube in the middle (didn't have removable bottom though).
At my home I have used a glass (pyrex) pan of the same sort to make this dish. I went ahead and measured it and it does have 9-inch diameter!! So go for that if you have it around!
In Brazil it is really common for people to have such pans as we make a lot of what we call a "sweet condensed milk pudim" (which is not a pudding per se, more like a big flan!).
Let me know if you would like the recipe for this dessert, it is also very delicious!
Thanks for the nice comments, I am really happy to see that someone really tries my recipes and enjoys it as much as I do! That's what keep me going with this blog!
Ohh, about the table cream, are you talking about those in the can, next to the condensed milk?
If that is the one, then I have lots of recipes using it! It is a very popular item in Brazil, used in many dishes, both savory and sweet.
One of the most popular dishes we use this for is Stragonoff (not sure I spelled it right... sorry!). Here in the US they normally use sour cream to thicken the sauce, in Brazil we use table cream!
You can also use it in many recipes where heavy cream is asked for.
Take a look in my recipe for "Coconut Flan". I posted it being made with heavy cream, but the original, and most delicious, recipe calls for 1 can of table cream in place of the mentioned heavy cream in the recipe I posted.
Since the can in Brazil is bigger than the one here in the US, you might use 1 1/2 cans of table cream.
That is a very creammy and delicious dessert, definitely worth trying! There is no cooking involved also, great for the summer! Ok, I admit, that flan is one of my all time favorites desserts!!
Ana

Cris said...

Thanks for all the help. I don't mean to take so much space. Your blog has been my favorite. Regarding the table cream yes its the kind used in Brasil. I was born there and moved to the states when I was eight. Still have all my family there and have not been able to visit for a very long time(Years). My mom (usa) makes alot of recipes from there but I don't read portuguese and so can't use any of her recipes. Flans are my families favorite sweets, any kind made any which way. I would love to have any of your recipes that you would like to share. I would like to keep the brasil alive in my family here in the states. Sure would love to have the bread pudding recipe too. You may email me at anytime. Thank you, and Very Greatful,