Sunday, June 11, 2006

Flaxseed Crackers

I love the nutty flavor of flaxseeds, add it to my yogurt every morning and always put some in my muffins and baked goods. Besides being yummy, it has good fatty acids, such as omega 3, and help keep me “regular”, if you know what I mean.
Since it is so healthy and good for us, I have been experimenting with recipes, bought a book about it and the ones I have tried have been winners.
This recipe I got from the Bob’s Red Mill Website. While browsing for bread recipes I found this one for crackers and promptly printed and added to the “to-try” list. The other night I wanted some savory crackers and there was none in the house, so I decided to try these ones.
They came out very nice, crispy, crunchy, with a yummy nutty flavor to it. The whole seeds add to the texture and complement the flavor that the meal lends to the whole thing.
I used half whole wheat and half white flour, but next time I will try using all whole wheat. I am so used to its taste, and eating mostly whole-wheat products, that I didn’t care much for the white flour taste on my crackers.
They are easy to make and to eat too… I made mine smaller than the size the recipe recommends (basically the size of those TLC crackers, which are my favorites), so I got a lot of crackers, which was not bad, as they tasted just as good after being stored for three days in a tight-sealed container.
I mixed all my ingredients by hand, in a big bowl and added a little more salt than the recipe asked for (doubled the amount), and I glad I did, because I still thought they need more salt…. Also, to half of the batch I brushed with melted butter and sprinkled kosher salt, which made them even better, and I will definitely do the brushing/sprinkling to all of them next time a make them!
Hearty and healthy, nice wholesome crackers that are worth trying!
Enjoy!
Ana

Flaxseed Crackers (Bob’s Red Mill website)
¼ cup flaxseed
¼ cup flaxseed meal
1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon sea salt
4 teaspoons butter, softened
½ cup milk

Preheat oven to 325°. Set aside an ungreased baking sheet.
In a bowl of a stand-up mixer, add flax seed, flax seed meal, flour, baking powder, salt and butter. With the paddle attachment, mix on low speed until the mixture
resembles a coarse meal.
Stir in milk and mix until mixture forms a soft dough. (You can also mix the dough by hand.)
Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 10 minutes. Divide the dough into quarters. Turn out onto a lightly floured board. Roll out very thin to a rectangle approximately 1/16” thick. Cut into 2-1/2” squares. Transfer to an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remainder of dough.
Bake 20 minutes, until crisp and golden.
Variations:
1 tb powdered onion soup mix
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 tb oregano with 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
Yield: approximately 24 crackers

2 comments:

Karen said...

Esta eu vou fazer qualquer hora!

Valentina said...

Ah, I have flexseed at home. And LOOOOOOOVE crackers. This is one for teh weekend.