Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Strawberry Muffins!
As you already know, I love baking muffins, so in order to use up some of the strawberries we picked last weekend I decided to make one of the boys favorite baked treats: Strawberry Muffins!
Although definitely not my favorite, the boys really like these muffins and always wait for me to make them during the strawberry season. A couple years ago I adapted a recipe from a cookbook I had (after making it as the original and not liking it much) and came up with this one.
These muffins are very moist and have a nice pink hue to them. They are very easy to make and also simple in its complexity. To improve the flavor you can add grated orange rind, as the strawberry-orange combo is a pretty nice one. However, I was out of oranges yesterday and ended up leaving it out, but the muffins came out ok!
The original recipe called for all-purpose flour; I normally use whole-wheat flour in my baked goods, but opted for a combination of the two here, as these muffins are quite delicate. I also added about ½ cup oats to the batter, as it always seems too liquid to me, and it worked well, it was just enough to get the batter together without adding heaviness to it (with a bonus of some added nutrients too!)
I find this a little on the sweet side, but the boys (Matheus and the Husband) enjoy it just like it is! I decreased the sugar amount from the original recipe, and you can add or take out based on your own taste.
Hope you enjoy this one, and it seems we will have some more strawberry goodies, as there are still some strawberries around (and we are already planning to go pick some more!).
Ana


 

Strawberry Muffins 

1 2/3 cup fresh strawberries, halved 
2 eggs
1/3 cup grape seed oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour (I use 1 cup whole wheat, ½ cup all-purpose)

1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt


Preheat oven to 350
Line muffin tin with baking cups or grease with coconut oil, reserve.
In a large bowl mash strawberries with a fork, add sugar, oil, egg and vanilla and mix well.
Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt and mix well just until all incorporated.
Pour batter into muffin cups and bake at pre-heated oven for about 18 minutes.
Makes 11 to 12 muffins depending on the size of your muffin tins.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ai, Ana que pecado!! Que dela!!:) Minha filha eh louca por tudo que eh feito com morangos, com certeza vou ter que tentar estes.

Depois conto como ficou:)

Bjs

Bri

Valentina said...

Ana, must give these a try too. I still treasure that strawberry loaf recipe I got from you.So this one is bound to be a winner too.

Akemi said...

Nunca tinha visto muffins de morango, a cor fica muito delicada, adorei! Preciso testá-los na próxima temporada de morangos!